Placing a bet on football in a betting shop is rather ‘old school’ nowadays but there are punters out there who still prefer going into their local bookies. The main reason for this, apart from it being a more social betting experience, is that betting shops deal in real money!
- Write down your selection(s) on a betting slip; found on one of the shop counters.
- Write down the odds of your selection on the slip. You will find these displayed somewhere in the shop. Ask a member of staff if you can’t find them.
- If you’re happy with the odds and you want to ‘take’ them, draw a circle or a small ‘C’ around them.
- However, if you want to ‘leave’ the odds and settle for the starting price (SP), don’t do anything.
- Write down your stake amount; once on the main part of the betting slip and again in the stake box.
- Hand your betting slip to the cashier. They will check it over for you, put it through a machine and then give you a copy.
- Keep it somewhere safe, it could be a winner!
Betting on football online:
Placing a bet on football via the internet is the ‘modern way’. With increased coverage of live matches on TV, punters can gain easy access to the bookies websites using their mobile devices. So anyone with an interest in the game has the freedom to have a ‘flutter’.
Open an account with an online bookmaker of your choice. Most online bookies have sign-up offers that you can take advantage of.
Deposit the minimum amount of cash into your account via debit or credit card. (Check the T&Cs).
- Using the on-screen menus, find your selection and then click on the price if you are happy with it.
- Your selection will now appear in your betslip. This is usually in a pop-up window.
- Input your chosen stake into the correct box and then click on the ‘place bet’ button and wait for a confirmation receipt to appear.
Job done! Now it’s time to sit back and watch the match from the comfort of your armchair.